Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's normal?

Today I received a phone call from an old friend.  We briefly caught up on each other's lives from the past several months and he mentioned that he's read this blog. I talked about how Daddy has been lately - what's become our new routine, our new way of life.  I let my mind wander to a thought I mull over when things are quiet.  Pause: I have a husband, three children and I work outside of the home, so life isn't often that quiet.  When I do have a bit of alone time my mind develops this before and after list.  It's almost like an advertisement for such & such diet complete with before and after photos.  In my mind I see two images of my daddy:  Before FTD and After FTD. 

My family is pretty upbeat.  We try to take life in stride and make the best of what we've been given.  We cope with our new way of life with a heavy side of humor / mostly self-depreciating.   On a recent trip to Dairy Queen , Daddy informed me that he's still quite capable of driving, "I know I could operate the car, I just don't know if I could get back"; he said with a smile.  Since I believe life is what you make it, I try to put on my big girl boots, keep calm and carry on. 

Since my mind wandered to the Before and After comparisons, I had a whole set of sad emotions welling up and thought a post is in order. 

Before FTD:
My daddy could do so many things and build anything.  He built my oldest daughter's nursery - complete with built in bookshelves and a window bench.  If I ever needed anything fixed, I'd give my daddy a call and he's been there and it would be fixed.  Many times on his days off he'd come over to my house and do yard work or some other project, just because he's built to be productive, it's who he is. For the last several years when he was still working, he'd call me everyday on his way home from work.  This became a joke between my mama & I because he'd call me to see if I needed anything, but not her.  Daddy and I would go grocery shopping and he'd make fun of my lack of math skills when I'd have to ask him for the hundredth time, "so if it's 3 for $1.00 it's how much each?" - finally I memorized the answer just to impress him. 
Daddy would pick up the kids from school and it was a must to stop by the store for a drink and snack.  He would take them to the dump, out to lunch or anywhere they wanted to go and they would rather be with him than anyone else in the world.  He would light up when any of the grand kids walked into the room. 
He was always fairly shy and wouldn't talk much.  He was so good and would do just about anything for anyone.  He was my daddy!

After FTD:
Daddy can't build things anymore - with our assistance we might be able to accomplish a small task, but no more flooring, decks, woodwork, etc.  When he tries to do yard work, if he doesn't break the tool, he ends up not finishing the work, working on a patch of dirt or just going over the same spot. 
Since Daddy no longer works or drives he doesn't run errands for me nor is he able to take the kids off, just he and them.  Though he still makes fun of my lack of math skills, our grocery shopping trips look quite different.  We'll walk through the store and he'll pick up things he has to have or things he want to get for the kids, all the while saying, "Now this is going to come out of my money!"  He still has a cell phone, though some times he has difficulty operating the phone; he doesn't call me too often.  Some days when I pick him up from the facility, he'll get a mischievous look in his eye and suggest we stop for ice cream.  If he's with us when we pick up the kids from school and if he has pocket money; Daddy insists we stop off at the store for drinks and snacks.  Daddy takes great pride in the fact that the grand kids have voted him best chocolate milk maker - probably because he pours excessive amounts of chocolate syrup in the mix.  He still adores the grand kids, but he doesn't light up when he sees them like he use to. 
Not so shy anymore, Daddy will talk to anyone and eavesdrops on most conversations so he can join the chat.  He is still a very good man and he is my daddy!

The way Daddy looks is different now too, often he'll have either a vacant or confused look on his face.  He looks older - though he's young, still in his 50's. 

It's been a hard shift.  Even as an adult, I relied so much on my Daddy and he did so much for me.  Now I have to protect him, make sure he's where he needs to be, help figure out the what he's trying tell us, and try to make sense of any compulsions he may have. 
Though the change has been very fast, and I've grieved losing aspects of what made him my Daddy, it can still be overwhelming when the Befores & Afters pop up in my mind.
Like all change the After becomes the new normal; we grow and adapt.  Change is inevitable and the best thing we can do is to is to put on our big girl/boy boots, keep calm and carry on.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, thanks for using your " gift of words" to tell your father's story.. and YOUR story. It reminded me of the many " befores and afters" in my Life and the pain, frustration, joys and laughter that are part of our journey. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete